pianist ~ composer ~ teacher ~ director
Award-winning composer Kate Moody has produced seven CDs of her work, ranging from solo piano to symphonic pieces. Her “Mystical Romantic” music is inspired by nature and her studies of spiritual philosophy.
Kate studied piano at Sonoma State University with Marilyn Thompson and composition at New England Conservatory with Robert Ceely. Kate continues to be actively involved in music education offering piano lessons, composition instruction and general music studies. She also instructs music teachers how to teach basic composition and improvising, making theory relevant as students use the notes from the scales, triads and arpeggios they are learning to create music which they then play and notate. Her instructional book, Playing & Composing Around the Circle of Fifths, is available from CoCo Lounge Presents.
Kate's first album, Grateful Heart, enjoyed great success with international air play on over 200 radio stations. Originally released on the Frog Rock label, and rereleased in Spring, 2005, Grateful Heart is eleven tracks of contemporary instrumental music featuring piano, flute, saxophone, guitar, bass and percussion on ten originals and one arrangement, Vince Guaraldi's Skating. Kate's recording of her full-length symphonic work, The Seeker, won Best Instrumental Album Award at the 2004 Just Plain Folks Music Awards. The symphony is in four movements: "Wake-Up Call," "River of Love," "Angels & Eskimos," and "Shining Through." The recording, made at Capitol Studios in Hollywood, features guitarist George Doering on Fantasy for Electric Guitar & Orchestra. "The performance is thrilling with the calm, deep logic of soul. This is one of the nicest things I've heard in a long time." - Steve Goodale, goldrecord.com. Three albums of solo piano music, "Welcome to Piania," "inscapes," and Free Spirit," are also available from CoCo Lounge Presents.
Kate is available for concert and workshop presentations upon request:
1. Solo piano concert.
2. Concert of Creativity - with instrumentalist -
Kate writes a short piece with the audience.
Instrumentalist and Kate madly practice the brand new piece
Instrumentalist and Kate play the newly minted piece.
Concert concludes with rehearsed pieces.
2a. Solo piano version of 9.
3. Connect & Glow Musical Meditation - Kate leads audience in guided visualizations
while playing healing, relaxing piano/keyboard music.
4. Connect & Glow Meditation without music.
5. Create Your Own Music!* with students, one-off.
6. Create Your Own Music! with students, over several days - students perform the
created music at the end of the workshop.
7. Create Your Own Music! with adult groups, one-off.
8. Workshops with music teachers on teaching composition and creativity.
9. Workshops with music pedagogy students on teaching composition and creativity.
10. Create Your Own Musical! camp - students create and perform dialogue, lyrics, music, choreography, costumes and scenery for a short musical.
11. Residencies which combine any/all of the above.
*Create Your Own Music! is a fun and educational presentation where Kate guides the group through writing a short piece of music. It works with groups of people with no musical experience, people with extensive musical experience, and with mixed groups.